Hello, kaiju lovers! Our subseries “Godzilla Redux” continues with what some call Toho screenwriter Shinichi Sekizawa’s masterpiece: Mothra (1961). Becky “Bex” Smith of the Redeemed Otaku podcast joins Nate to discuss this film—because apparently Nate can’t talk about a Mothra film without her. While Bex seems weirdly obsesses over the genus names of insects, Nate regales her with kaiju-sized info bombs related to the making of the film, the historical backdrop against which it was made (controversial treaty renewals with the U.S.), and the often crazy interpretations academics and critics have of the film (blackface, anyone?). That’s just some of what you’ll learn about this kaiju classic!
Beforehand, Nate meets with his pseudo-sister, the semi-secret magical girl Jessica, who’s just been promoted to director of tourism on the Island. They discuss her new job and awkwardly talk about her seeming crush on Legal Action Team paralegal, Gary. After the broadcast, though, Nate and company discover “Bex” isn’t who she appears to be—and Crystal Lady has to get involved.
This episode’s prologue and epilogue, “Bexy a Traitor?! The Church of Mothrianity Attacks!”, was written by Nathan Marchand with Becky Smith and Daniel DiManna.
- Sarah Marchand as Jessica Shaw/Crystal Lady
- Becky Smith as Peppermoth
- Daniel DiManna as “Old Janitor”
- Damon Noyes as Motte-Priester Herzog Jerry Nachtfalter
- Hoshiko as Luna
- “A weird thing” by Chiro
- “Transformation (Sailor Moon Remix)” by Vincent Lee
- “Enantiodromia” by Respawn Collective
- “Spirits of the Fallen” by heymagurany
- "Mothra's Song" (from "Godzilla: King of the Monsters") by FalKKonE
Sound effects sourced from Freesound.org, including those by InspectorJ.
We’d like to give a shout-out to our MIFV MAX patrons Travis Alexander and Michael Hamilton (co-hosts of Kaiju Weekly); Danny DiManna (author/creator of the Godzilla Novelization Project); Eli Harris (elizilla13); Chris Cooke (host of One Cross Radio); Bex from Redeemed Otaku; Damon Noyes, The Cel Cast, TofuFury, Eric Anderson of Nerd Chapel, and Ted Williams! Thanks for your support!
You, too, can join MIFV MAX on Patreon to get this and other perks starting at only $3 a month!
Buy official MIFV merch on TeePublic!
This episode is approved by Cameron Winter and the Monster Island Board of Directors.
- Prologue: 0:00-4:57
- Intro: 4:57-11:31
- Main Discussion: 11:31-1:34:57
- Housekeeping & Outro: 1:34:57-1:46:01
- Epilogue: 1:46:01-end
Podcast Social Media:
- Follow Jimmy on Twitter: @NasaJimmy
- Follow the Monster Island Board of Directors on Twitter: @MonsterIslaBOD
- Follow the Raymund Martin and the MIFV Legal Team on Twitter: @MIFV_LegalTeam
- Follow Crystal Lady Jessica on Twitter: @CystalLadyJes1
- Follow The Henshin Men Podcast on Twitter: @HenshinMenPod
- Follow Dr. Dourif on Twitter: @DrDorif
#JimmyFromNASALives #MonsterIslandFilmVault #GodzillaRedux #Mothra
© 2022 Moonlighting Ninjas Media
- Barr, Jason. The Kaiju Film: A Critical Study of Cinema’s Biggest Monsters.
- Commentary on Mothra by Steve Ryfle and Ed Godziszewski (Mill Creek blu-ray).
- Galbraith, Stuart IV. Japanese Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Films: A Critical Analysis and Filmography of 103 Features Released in the United States 1950-1992.
- Kaijuvision Radio, Episode 7: Mothra (1961) (Renewal of the US-Japan Security Treaty in 1960)
- Kalat, David. A Critical History and Filmography of Toho’s Godzilla Series, 2nd
- LeMay, John. The Big Book of Japanese Giant Monster Movies Volume 1: 1954-1982.
- LeMay, John. The Big Book of Japanese Giant Monster Movies: The Lost Films (Mutated Edition).
- LeMay, John. Writing Giant Monsters.
- Ryfle, Steve, and Ed Godziszewski. Ishiro Honda: A Life in Film, from Godzilla to Kurosawa.
- Rhodes, Sean, and Brooke McCorkle. “Chapter 4: “Mothra, Marx, Mother Nature.” Japan’s Green Monsters: Environmental Commentary in Kaiju Cinema.